Thursday 19 January 2012

Cards or eCards?

January is a busy month for me.  The decorations stay up for my birthday, and Christmas merges into New Year’s Eve which merges into celebrations for another of my own years passing.  Its only this week I got round to sorting through our 2011 Christmas cards.

I love writing Christmas cards.  They are my annual opportunity to remind people I do think of them, however tardy I’ve been showing it in the previous 12 months.  I enjoy getting my list out and reminiscing about each person / family, and the time we have spent together.  With sherry in one hand and pen in the other, I’ll choose a card for each and write something.  My other half does the envelopes and also signs them; it’s a festive tradition we love sharing.

Its almost more fun than receiving them, but only almost.  The multi-coloured, all-shapes-and-sizes envelopes dropping on the mat really boost the comfort and joy of the season, reminding us we are in others thoughts too.

eCards, on the other hand, inspire a visceral reaction when received a friend or relative, and not a good one!  Carrying my [email] address but not name, they are the equivalent of the birthday card from the bank.   When used tactically within a robust marketing strategy, eCards have their place.  But as a personal greeting – bah humbug!  It turns them to arbitrary, mass-mailer gimmicks, with no contribution to cheering the home or heart.  And as for being environmentally friendly, I challenge readers to find a Christmas card that isn’t from sustainable forests / recycled stock.  These pretty missives can also be recycled inoffensively, rather than the “Forward Here” of eCards.

And what of giving?  eCards seem to benefit no-one, unless perhaps the sender whose thoughts were on other things.  I was amazed at the range of organisations that benefited from 2011’s cards – check these out:




Each one I received and opened brought me closer to the sender and made me think of wider things too, bringing me closer to everyone.

What Christmas habit / tradition do you enjoy?  And which would you rather avoid...?

No comments:

Post a Comment